Wednesday, November 24, 2010

That's not a cough to truck has, but it is on it's deathbed.


I've shared the fist sized hole in the muffler before. I've tried taping the thing twice with metallic duct tape. The first time, the tape fell off, but it was quieter for about a mile. I tried a second time, and really wrapped the thing up nice so the tape wouldn't fall off. I taped all the way around the muffler and thought I had it done up, and drove off. After a mile, it started sputtering and complaining again. Turned out that the exhaust pressure blew a hole right through the tape. (But the wrap job around the hole stayed...)

I got an inspection on the truck recently. It didn't pass. The follwoing is needed for the truck to be road worthy again:
  • 2 back tires
  • Windshield
  • Serpentine Belt
  • Fix the oil pan leak
  • New muffler
  • and they didn't say it this year, but there is a suspension arm that is wearing out
  • I also put the truck in four wheel drive yesterday before the 'blizzard' started, and some very loud sound happened just before it engaged, then it slipped out, and then back in again. Not a good sign.
So, I don't want to spend the money on all of that, really. The truck has over 235000 miles on it. The registration on the truck expires on Tuesday. I'll be parking it in the driveway Tuesday night.


That begs the question - "What do I do with the truck?" I have several options I on the table right now: (In no particular order)
  • Create a greenhouse of out it - in the driveway
  • Bury it in the front yard up to the bed - put a lawn chair and BBQ in the bed
  • Start 'Car-henge' by burying it standing up
  • Demolition Derby
  • Sell it
  • Watch "Red" to see what they did with a truck. I hear that's really the way to go, but I don't know what my parents are talking about yet, because I haven't seen the movie.
Any other options?

No comments: