Saturday, February 23, 2013

Book Review

Star Wars
The Force Unleashed
by Sean Williams

A book based on a video game!  (I've not always had good experiences with this type of thing in the past, but in this case, it's a book based on a video game that I haven't actually played before.  Maybe that helped...)

Interesting book.  It's about Darth Vader's secret apprentice in the days before the Death Star is finished.  He travels the outer rim, sent on missions by Vader.  Then he has an accident, and retraces his steps.  (Spoilers redacted)

I thought it was an interesting book.  The main character's name throughout most of the book was "the apprentice".  He's got a shape shifting robot pal whose primary objective is to kill him in combat.  (Teaching him in the process.)  There is a ship pilot used as a foil to the main character.  They just wander the galaxy and think about their angst.  Then land and start fighting.

The main thrust of the book is the apprentice retraces his steps in the second half, and starts learning the results of his actions.  In the end, we all learned a valuable lesson.

It was a good book, and I see that the author wrote a book called "The Force Unleashed II", I'm guessing based on a second video game I never played.  I'd read it if I ever came across it, just based on this one...

No comments: