Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Goodbye old truck


Followers of this blog know that I stopped driving my truck in November because it didn't pass inspection. It needed a minimum of a new windshield, muffler, and tires. I didn't have the money to fix it up, (we had to get tires, a radiator, and catalytic converter for the van in the last couple of months) and I have toyed with the idea of putting the truck into a demolition derby.

The demolition derby idea wasn't going to work for me this year. It's pretty expensive to get the thing ready for a derby, and from everything I read, the regulars target the newbies in a derby, you are pretty much guaranteed a broken thumb or two on your first demolition derby. Demolition derby forums kind of indicated that you should watch 8 or 9 of them first, and visit with people that have experience. I'm not willing to have a broken thumb right now, and the money to get it ready would have been about the same amount to get it on the road again.

Today I decided to post the thing online, and see if I got any nibbles to sell the truck. I posted the thing on the ksl.com classifieds, and accidentally put the wrong mileage in. I had four emails on the thing before I could even get the mileage corrected on the post. In the first hour, I had ten emails about the post.

Someone came over this afternoon, test drove it, and bought it for $800. Maybe I could have gotten $900. They paid cash, I sign`ed the title over, and the money is in my bank account already. I'm a little surprised it went down so fast. Maybe the market for 18 year old trucks with over 200K miles is a good one these days...

Either way, I can stop pretending at this point that we aren't a one car family. I made a key to the van for my keyring on Saturday, so I guess I had bought into the idea. (I went two years without a key to the van...) I guess I will have to stop being lazy, and really take up walking now.

I have some circuit breakers listed on ebay, if anyone out there is interested. Three days left, no bids yet.

1 comment:

duff said...

I have a 94 with 210,000 miles. I love that thing.