Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Slightly awkward customer service moment

There is a restaurant by my office called Costa Vida.  They do burritos, enchiladas, salads, etc.

I found an old frequent diner card in my desk for the place recently, and stuck it in my wallet.  We went over there today, when I went to pay, I gave them the card.  The girl at the register looked at it and said "We haven't used those in a long time.  Are you from out of town?"  Then she took my card, charged me for the meal, and that was the end of it.

I laughed about it after I walked off, but it was a little weird.  They have a new frequent diner card, it's a plastic card, like a Subway card.  She didn't offer to start me in a new card, no follow up comment about my seemingly foreign nature, just took my money and moved on. You'd think that something would have happened at that point...  What might I have done?  Pulled out a new frequent diner card, and gotten the equivalent points on it for the stamps I had on the old card.  Maybe a "see you again soon" or a "thanks for coming in."  Certainly not a "are you from out of town?"  (Would it have made a difference if I was from out of town?)

Now I don't know about you, but I am on the fence about Costa Vida.  It's easy to get to from my office, but they are not in a great location if you are just tooling around, mostly because they don't have good parking at all.  Tara's been disappointed with the food the last couple of times she has been there.  It's not like there aren't 30 other choices close by.

I got a steak salad today.  No dressing, extra pico de gallo.  It was ok, I am glad I didn't get any dressings on it.  Just ok, not anything really special.  Maybe I would have liked it more if I had been in from out of town.  :)

3 comments:

Tara said...

Makes you miss the wingshak even more.

Unknown said...

Since I was there, I'll describe the situation from her point of view. First, you come up with a look on your face that says, "I'm about to pull one over on you." Her thought: "I don't get paid enough to deal with this crap... What can I say that won't get me fired, but really annoy this guy?" So, she says something that seemed harmless and innocent at first -- enough to silence you and get you to leave, but later bloomed into what your feeling now. It was a stroke of genius if you ask me... ;-)

Sarah Burgoyne said...

That is too bad. We have a Costa Vida and it's one of my favorites. LOVE the sweet pork quesadilla. My kids love the nachos. We must get two buy 1/get 1 with the purchase of two drinks coupons a month. Sometimes I use the coupon and save the second meal for the next day :)

I would have asked to talk to the manager about the card. I'm sure they would have done something.