Saturday, November 28, 2009

The BYU vs. Utah football game is bad for my health

Scores for games I have either been at or watched on TV:

1993 - BYU 31, Utah 34
1996 - BYU 37, Utah 17
1997 - BYU 14, Utah 20
1998 - BYU 26, Utah 24
1999 - BYU 17, Utah 20
2000 - BYU 34, Utah 27
2001 - BYU 24, Utah 21
2002 - BYU 6, Utah 13
2003 - BYU 0, Utah 3
2004 - BYU 21, Utah 52
2005 - BYU 34, Utah 41
2006 - BYU 33, Utah 31
2007 - BYU 17, Utah 10
2008 - BYU 24, Utah 48
2009 - BYU 26, Utah 23

I have highlighted the games that were close, usually these come down to the last play of the game. (Like today's overtime game)

I stopped getting season tickets years ago, after it started getting too expensive to get more than two sets of tickets. (Kate always wanted to go when she was little, but never wanted to stay for the whole game, which was a problem if Tara and I wanted to go. It started getting easier to just not get season tickets.) Since that time I have gone to a couple of games, wither buying tickets off someone, or having Drew give me tickets.

I wasn't planning on going today, but one of the families I home teach called 30 minutes before the game started and asked if I wanted tickets to the game, someone gave him some, but he had another commitment. I ended up taking their 11 year old boy, Isaac to the game. (Rich was telling me that Isaac was excited to go, and all our kids were in their rooms 'taking a nap'.)

We ended up sitting about 30 rows up in the North East endzone. Not bad seats at all. (Much better picture from those seats than the picture you get on TheMtn TV.) Directly in front of us were 6 Utah fans, one of which was pretty obnoxious. The dude took a drink cup, tore out the bottom, and was using it as a megaphone all night long. Late in the third quarter, I got tired of him turning and yelling at me, and almost snatched the cup out of his hand. I very nearly did it once, then stopped myself again. I figured there were 6 of them, and although Isaac may have made an ok wingman, he was only 11...

The guy had been chanting "cheater, cheater" all game long when BYU got a penalty, after I resolved not to take his cup, I started shouting over his 'cheater, cheater' chant with "Dirty Ute Fan" as loud as I could. Everyone around me liked this, and the guy stopped his 'cheater' chants after two of my 'dirty' chants over his, which was nice.

How did the game end this year? Utah scored three times in the fourth quarter to tie the game and go to overtime. Utah scored a field goal in overtime, then BYU scored a touchdown. Thousands of BYU fans stormed the field. The annoying Utah fan high fived all of us behind him after, congradulating us on the win, so I guess it was a good thing I didn't snatch his cup. (But it would have been funny.) Isaac and I didn't storm the field with everyone else, we walked back to the car.

Sometimes I don't know why I watch the BYU/Utah football game. It's bad for my heart... If I ever develop some sort of heart condition I will definitely have to stop watching.

1 comment:

Scott said...

On the contrary: games like this are good for the heart :-)