Thursday, November 19, 2009

An Evening with a bored (or boring) guy

We have a standing babysitter every Thursday night. This is kind of nice when we want to go out to eat, or to the temple, or to a play, etc. The problem is that Tara sometimes has things on Thursdays that leave me out on the street. (Book clubs, things like that, where men are not exactly welcome.) I think I have gotten boring, I have a hard time figuring what to do. One week I took Lily to the library and an ice cream. One week I sat at a buffet reading magazines.

Today was one of the days where I went out looking for something to do. We have someone in our ward moving to China in about two months, I sent him a message earlier in the day, to see if he needed help with his house, he didn't.

Tara and I went out to get something to eat, but she had a limited time to get something. There is an In-and-Out that opened here today, we drove past there, there was a giant line out the door, and an even longer line to the drive through. (I'm guessing more than 50 cars.) Tara got something from Teryaki Stix, I passed and took her to her book club.

I went to a furniture store to look at recliners. My recliner is starting to show it's age. (It's kind of falling apart. I'm thinking about starting a "John Payne recliner fund") The place I went had a bunch, some were nice. I texted Tom to see if he was hungry, he was on a date, eating.

I left the furniture place, and drove around looking for a place to eat. The Smokehouse was closed. Are they permanently closed, or just early? I went to Tommy Burger, they were open, and I waited in the place, but no employee showed. It's a really small place, no room to hide really. Not sure what the deal is, but I didn't rob the place while I was there. Or get any Chili fries. There were one or two other places I thought about, but the next was closed, so I gave up.

I drove up to Orem, and decided to stop at Kohl's. I have been sort of looking for a particular type of pie plate for about 3 years. I found one in New Jersey 18 months ago, but my luggage was too full already. No deal at Kohl's, either. Anyone use a silicone baking mat? Are they nice?

5 Guys Burger and Fries is near there, I drove by, there were something like 300 people all standing around the movie theater. I didn't know what the deal was, but just kept driving by and stopped at Costco. I got pistachios and olive oil. (That's what I am thinking about having for dinner at this point.)

After Costco, I thought about trying 5 Guys again, still people all over the theater, the signs around them said "New Moon". I avoided the first movie, (was there a second, or is this it?) I plan to avoid this one. 5 Guys was full of people. I kept driving.

Am I a boring person? I used to have friends around I could hang out with anytime, but they are all gone now. Maybe I should try harder with some of the people I know, but there is also the possibility that there's just nothing around here to do. I can stay plenty busy sitting at home, or sitting at work, or sitting at the church, but outside of that, not so much.

Maybe it's time for a mid-life crisis...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to In-N-Out friday night, the drive up was backed up clear to Chuck a Rama, So I went and stood in line, only took me 30 minutes to get my food and eat

Anonymous said...

John Payne, you can always move to Brooklyn as your mid-life crisis.