Monday, April 26, 2010

Sure signs of Spring (A list)

  1. The quail are trying to figure out what goodies I left them out in the garden. What I've got planted out there is mostly covered up, I'm hoping it survives.
  2. Speaking of the garden, I've got watermelon and cantaloupe out there. Taking the risk of a killing frost before the plants get going, but if we make it, should have plenty to harvest from during the summer.
  3. Jackets left at work. It's too cold to go without in the morning, but it ends up being warm in the afternoon. I end up with a number of jackets at work by the end of the week. I guess that's not a bad thing, except the book I am reading right now is in the jacket pocket of the one I left there today...
  4. 80% mowed lawns. I got almost done today when the lawnmower stopped. Not sure what happened to it, but it was getting dark, I was tired, and figured I could deal with it another day. We'll see. At least I got the front lawn done first.
  5. Cubs fans still have hope for the year, because the Cubs are playing just good enough to stay in the race. (1.5 games back right now, could be 0.5 back still at the end of the night.) I bought a MLB app for my phone, $15 for all audio broadcasts, condensed games you can watch after the games are over, and I am hoping either later this year or first part of next - streaming one game a day live. Helps that they've started to rip off a string of wins, and they are starting to hit finally. (But that also shows they've sucked me in again too...)
  6. People getting married, calling me for appointments with the Stake President at the last minute. My personal pet peeve. I've got a guy today that wants to meet with him on Sunday any time after 4:30pm. This happens all throughout the year, but I get more of them in the Spring.
  7. The city emptied out this past weekend. Graduation with Thursday and Friday. Things get pretty quiet until it gets warm enough at night for them to start having outdoor parties. Not that we hear any of it when we are in the house. Lots less crazies on the road as well.
  8. The absolutely perfect temperature evening. Doesn't happen every night, but it's really nice when it does. Something like 65 degrees is perfect.
  9. Wellness program walking challenge starts up. This year it starts this Thursday. I wish someone had reminded me that fact before I walked to work this morning. (Why walk when you are not getting paid for it?)
  10. Allergies. For everyone. (Claritin holding out so far...)
  11. The kids get to go outside and play. Adam wants to go out every day. He runs and gets his coat when I come home from work. And sometimes I find him trying to figure out the front door...
I didn't really intend the list to be overly negative. Spring is nice. Go Spring!

No comments: