Tuesday, April 27, 2010

TV baseball vs. Radio baseball

I've been listening to radio broadcasts on my phone this year, which is nice. I've listened to radio broadcasts of ballgames on the internet for several years, but have had trouble with MLB.com's insistence that your computer be Windows or Mac. Last year I didn't buy the $15 yearly package for audio broadcasts, because I was nowhere near Windows. And we tore the house apart, so I was busy.

Last year I tried to watch more baseball on TV. I'm not really sure how successful I was. You have to be near your TV, baseball needs to be on, etc... Now that I'm back to listening to audio broadcasts again, and it's on my phone, so I've got it with me fairly often, I've finally figured out what I like about audio broadcasts of games as opposed to watching on TV. I think it's the announcers. Being on the radio forces the audio announcers to pay attention to what's going on in the game. It always seems like sometimes TV guys get bored, or sidetracked, or just lazy since people are watching, and either end up talking about other things, or saying really, really dumb things. (I'm looking at you, Eric Karros...)

Anyway, I think audio broadcasters are forced to pay more attention. They know you depend on them to tell you what's happening, so they keep calling the game. Or they are good at making things up. The worst thing about TV broadcasts of any sports is when they cut the camera to the announcers themselves, and totally abandon any pretext of focusing on the game being played.

Of course, the best scenario is to attend a baseball game in person. You can watch, no one jabbering about anything, you can sit and watch. And make a giant mess shelling peanuts. But I'll take listening to the game on the radio (or cell phone) as a good second option...

No comments: