Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Are they sure they want me doing this?

I'm the last person that should be writing Performance and Development plans... I was made team lead (chief engineer) last March, and there is no handbook on file that tells you what you should and should not do.

A couple of weeks ago, I realized that I had to write PDPs for everyone on my team. They had a training for it, I went, and they stressed the importance off being careful what you say in a PDP. It's a legal document, and the HR department claims they read them all.

The online tool contains the last 3 or 4 PDPs for both yourself and your employees. I looked through my old ones. "juggling monkeys" is still in there. My 2008 PDP is mysteriously missing. I don't know why. My PDP last year was redacted before it ever got to the HR department. All it says for employee comments is "I have no comment", but that's not what I said in the first place. The first thing I said was "This year I will try to be nicer to people around me. Except for Gale. The honeymoon's over there." Gale would have appreciated it, I think, but he never would have let you know it...

Anyway, I started writing these things three weeks ago. The week after Christmas I did everything I could think of to avoid working on them. I think they are basically done now, at least I hope. I am sure they are not up the the standards that the HR department wants, but that's what they get for making an engineer a manager. They should just be grateful that there is nothing in there that needs to be redacted.

No comments: