Saturday, May 28, 2011

Civil Disobedience

Yesterday was the last day of school for the kids. I try not to get too involved, mostly so that I don't:
  1. Demotivate the kids when it comes to school
  2. Say something at the school that Tara would regret me saying
Anyway, that being said, the elementary school here is a pretty good one. they do have a few quirks, however:
  1. Flag Corp - The raise and lower the flag everyday. I find this a worthwhile effort, but their way of getting it done is kind of odd. They have the kids march in a sort of half step march, all in synch. People are supposed to stand aside when they come by. Yesterday at the school, they spent plenty of time over the PA trying to get parents to stop and reflect the flag, or the flag corp, I'm not sure really which. They said "At the school, we stop moving for the flag." To which in my head, I thought "But what about not talking?" I may have said that to Tara...
  2. Talking heads - The principal likes to talk. We have a choir concert, the principal has to say something. During the dance festival at the end of the year, (blurry pictures tomorrow...) she gets others to join in with her. They keep going and going. Just get to the dancing already, so we can take the kids home! Do all school principals have to always talk all the time?
  3. Tardies - My kids eat breakfast at the school. Last year, they had a hard time getting to their class in time to start the day. Emma doesn't eat as it is, I would tell her to not worry about being late, just focus on her breakfast. Last year we got a threatening letter about their tardies. My initial reaction was to demand to know what exactly the school thought they were missing in the first five minutes of the day. Get an accounting of all the teaching moments each class does in those first five minutes. Tara had me ignore the thing...
Anyway, that's all I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there are others. Today at the dance festival, I saw something I thought was fantastic. The thing ended, and some of the classes started to leave. They got on the PA, and said something to the effect of "Teachers, we are not done yet. Please remain here while we finish up, sing the school song, and then have flag corp." Tara and I were leaving at that point, and they starting singing the school song. I didn't know the school had their own song.

As we were leaving, there was the second grade, all carrying their chairs away while singing the school song. They didn't care that they were supposed to sit still, they were done. School was over for the year, it was time to go. Priceless civil disobedience...

No comments: