Friday, September 21, 2007

Book Review

Niagara: A history of the Falls
Pierre Berton

I don't remember having any history lessons back in school about Niagara Falls, I suppose it was one of those things I missed when we moved and changed schools. (Or maybe I just wasn't paying any attention.)

This book is a history book, but it's not one of those books that has endnotes or footnotes every 2 1/2 inches. The author just tells the stories he wants to tell, and tries to keep things going. (It still took me 2 months to read, I got interrupted in the middle.) The book picks up a bit when the author starts talking about the daredevils - tightrope walkers, barrel riders, that sort. He ends the book talking about the work done to put the hydroelectric plants in, and finished with a fairly long section on Love Canal. (It seemed long, maybe it was just because I was on a plane about the same size as my car...)

I would recommend the book, in fact, I was on a trip with my boss, he's headed over to Buffalo next week to visit Niagara Falls and Palmyra, I gave it to him to read before he heads over there. It will definitely give him a frame of reference going in. (And maybe he can impress his wife with fun filled facts about the Falls.) Anyway, I would recommend the book, but it's out of print. Sorry. Once he gives the book back, if you want it, let me know...

2 comments:

Mom said...

too bad we're headed that way or we could act as tour guides... it would have been fun.

Mom

Anonymous said...

let me know when you get it back (and when you are coming to NYC). I read the Erie canal book on your recommendation, i'll try this one too!

rob