Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Home Teaching curse

I have had 2 home teaching family slots for a number of years. I have had one family in slot #1 for a while now. (Something like a year and a half at this point.) Slot #2 has been a never ending rotation of people in and out of it. We think it's a cursed position. If the Elders Quorum presidency assigns someone to be home taught by us in this slot, you can be fairly confident they will be moving soon. I would have a complex about it if it was true of both slots...

I thought I had it licked in the Spring, I ended up visiting a family 2 months in a row. The 2nd visit they told us they were moving the next week. Last month, we visited our new family, they had moved down from Seattle, he had been working in computer repair for a number of years, he was coming back to get a Master's degree. They planned to live in their place for a year or two. We talked about the curse. They didn't think it would happen in this case.

We make the next month's HT appointment while we visit. This makes it easier for me to make sure my schedule is clear, and avoids all the hassle of trying to get everyone on the same page after the fact. Last month we set the appointment for today, this morning I find that their number has been disconnected. We went over this morning, and someone new was living there, and it looked like they had recently moved in. They told our (now) old HT family had moved to her Mother's basement. The curse is alive and well. They must not have needed help moving, they didn't call or anything. I'm not really sure what happened. It turns out he updated his telephone information in the campus directory, I called over there, he said they moved unexpectedly last weekend. (We had Stake Conference.)

Anyway, if you are in our ward, and we get assigned to home teach you here in the next few weeks, you have been warned.

No comments: