Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tator Tots

Yesterday was a primary election in town. As usual, I was at the school serving as an election judge. Our polling place is at Kate's school, there is another precinct nearby that used to vote there, but votes somewhere else now. The city tore down a school about 2 years ago, and they had to shuffle all the polling locations around. Every election since, we have gotten dozens of people come to our polling place wanting to vote. When we turn them away, we get the whole range of emotions from the different people. My favorite are the people who are completely outraged that their polling place has moved, they've been voting there for years. ("... I voted here last election!" Even though they didn't. I think this time, we might have had a repeat visitor, but I'm not sure.)

There are 5 poll workers at the polling place: The election judge (me), The assistant election judge, and 3 poll workers. The 3 poll workers this time were older people. We had to keep an eye on two of them all day because they were having trouble with their jobs. The one lady was having a little bit of trouble with her alphabet. The old guy was in charge of writing the voters names down in the poll book started having trouble keeping up with the number of people coming in, and started missing people. (We had 120 people vote in the 13 hours the polls were open.)

It was kind of a slow day. I read a book. The school provided lunch, I'm thinking the stuff we give Kate is 100 times better than what they are serving in the school. Maybe they had a bad day. They were serving: chicken nuggets (didn't try them, they looked greasy), tuna fish sandwiches (a big pile of them, I passed), bean burritos, french fries, and rolls. The rolls were really good. The french fries were not. The burritos were very hot, and kind of bland. If it weren't free, I would have felt ripped off. I'm sure not all school lunches are the same, from school to school, or even from day to day, but I have heard the annoucements for the school the last 3 days, and burritos have been on the menu all 3 days. Either someone likes making them, the kids like eating them, or someone made a lot of them and the kids won't eat them...

What does this have to do with tator tots? One of the election workers smelled like tator tots all day. I'm not sure why, but it was kind of odd.

1 comment:

Mom said...

...and people call you random, go figure!