Thursday, June 30, 2011

A new swing

This is a piece of log, like several pieces of log, carved off a bench that I will get around to finishing someday. (Maybe this summer!) The bench project was paused after I burned out my belt sander (this has since been fixed), and I used a grinder for one or two days that I decided was too dangerous to continue using. I have several pieces of log like this, so I should be able to make more of these swings for the front yard.

Sanding the swing down left it with some interesting waves in the bench. You can sort of see them in this picture. The bottom was not sanded or shaved down in any way, I wanted to make it look kind of natural, like a swing you would find out in the woods somewhere. (Made by a bear, I guess.) You can't see the lag bolts I put in from the back to close up the cracks in the wood... (I'm pretty sure a bear wouldn't use lag bolts. That's how you can distinguish between the work of a bear and me...)

After sanding it down, I decided that a little bit of stain would make the swing bench look really nice. I had some sitting around, and since I wasn't looking for any particular color, one coat took care of it.

On June 4th, I had gotten to the point that the swing was ready to hang. I had planned to take care of it sometime the next week, but I got side tracked working on a house a few doors down.

My friend Chad, who is feeling lots better these days, came over this afternoon to help me hang the swing. He has had plenty of experience, knowing just what to do to not have to use the ladder... You can see the girls were happy to try it out.

Sometime later in the summer, I will make a couple of more swings for the tree, so this one is not lonely. I need to ponder improvements to the design first...

No comments: