Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Start of school

School starts tomorrow. Everyone cheer for Tara.

They had back to school night tonight. I didn't go, I was at the Stake center. Like every year, the teachers are begging for "involuntary" donations. They say it is involuntary, and no child will be excluded if a family does not donate to a teacher, but you get hounded over and over for the donation if you do not hand the money over. (Might possibly be an exaggeration on my part.)

Last year Kate's teacher didn't ask for a donation. I was happy to give him the $20. (That's right, I did the opposite.) Tara tells me that Kate's teacher is asking for a $25 donation this year. Makes me want to hold out until February or so...

Am I the only person around here that feels like these involuntary donations are really a hidden tax? I have 3 kids this year in the school, 4 every year after that for a while. After that, Kate will need to start paying for book rental. I don't remember my parents paying for all this extra stuff for school, maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, school starts tomorrow. Everyone cheer for Tara.

1 comment:

nelson abbott said...

The day my kids teachers come asking for a donation will be the day I pull my kids out and put them in a Charter school. To much waste at the district and local levels. In my opinion they should provide an education and nothing else. If they want to be in band, sports, cheer dance etc the student and the students family should bear the full cost. Furthermore I think we should chnage the state constitution to allow for impact fees to be charged on new homes to pay for the new schools being built for the new students. I am tired of Nebo Schoold district's bonding to pay for new schools. My property taxes have nearly doubled in ten years due to this archaic methodology.