Thursday, October 01, 2009

Restaurant review

Tonight Tara and I went out to dinner. We have this babysitter locked up for every Thursday night since the school year started, which has been kind of nice. This was the first Thursday we didn't have anything planned, so we went to grab something to eat, and then went to Walmart to buy diapers. We live an exciting life.

Anyhow, the first place we went to was a place called "Communal" in downtown Provo. A guy that lives a block or so away from us just opened the place. We went in, they have an a la carte menu, it appears it is family style. The problem was that there were only like 4 veggie dishes, 4 main course dishes, and stuff like that, but they all seemed to be too fancy for my tastes. (Really, most of them seemed to have something in them that I couldn't eat.) The squash had apples, a couple of the entrees sounded like they had stuff in them I shouldn't eat. The owner wasn't there, so we left. I figuere I can always talk to him about his menu sometime soon, and see what is really in those dishes, and maybe come back another time.

We ended up going to "Pho Noodle House" up in Orem. They had a 'normal' bowl, and a 'large' bowl, you could choose from about 18 different beef combinations to go in it. I had "steak, brisket, flank". Tara stuck with "steak". (We both passed on tendon this time.) The soup was good. I added hot chili sauce to mine, which helped to clear the sinuses. The 'normal' boup was a very big bowl of soup, the 'large' bowl turned out to be more along the lines of a vat of soup.

Anyhow, the Pho there is just the the Pho I had the last two trips to NYC. We'll have to go back again. The place was sort of busy, at least for an out of the way soup restaurant, but I am sure a big bowl of Pho will sound good sometime during the Winter, when it's absolutely freezing out.

No comments: