Saturday, October 16, 2010

Food

I found this monstrosity of a turnip in my garden this evening. I had planted turnips, rutabaga, and parsnips early in the spring, nothing really came of it, so I assumed either I planted at the wrong time, or the quail got to them.

I ended up planting cantaloupe in the place of these plants, during the early summer, the cantaloupe plant started growing, but then eventually stopped. I thought this was kind of weird, we never got any fruit of the plant. Some blossoms, but nothing else. This evening I went to pull the cantaloupe plant out of the garden, and there was some sort of thing growing out of the base of it. I thought this was kind of weird. I dug it out, and it was a huge turnip. It had grown right through the base of the cantaloupe plant.

I also found half a dozen onions underneath the broccoli. It's like finding money on the street, except I was the one that put it there, and it's food. I guess it's time to make a stew. Stew with fresh vegetables.


I also got Emma to help me make an apple pie yesterday. I need to learn how to make pie crust.

No comments: