Saturday, October 02, 2010

October "Hobby"

In the past 6 weeks, I've ended up with more time on my hands than I have had in the previous five years. I've been trying to figure out what my hobbies are lately. I'm sure it's not just sitting on the couch eating potato chips.

One of the things I haven't done a good job with in the past two years is our yard and garden. Last year I completely let it go while I worked on the house. I did ok here and there this year, but must have gotten lazy after the middle of July or so. Things are looking a bit ragged out there.

Since it's October, Winter will be here before we know it. I would like to get our yard, lawn, and garden ready before the Winter, so it all gets off on a good foot for the Spring. Here is what things look like right now, and some of the things that need to be done:

The lawn


I let the lawn grow too long in places, then didn't water. The lawn in many places it's brown, but isn't growing. I need to do some aggressive raking, following by mowing and watering.



Other places need water. The grass is dying. If I start now, they may green up before Winter fully arrives. I hope.


The back has gotten the most water, mostly because of it's proximity to the garden. But it's a forest, and needs to be tamed.

The yard

There is plenty of pruning and weeding to do right now. If I don't get it done now, I won't want to do it in the Winter or early Spring, and it will be June again before I get around to it.

The garden

In the next couple of weeks, we will get a frost, I think. It's hard to say really. It is 86 degrees outside right now, but the high is supposed to be 62 on Tuesday. Most if the stuff I have out there is not frost hardy, and will be done in a few weeks. I would like to get a truck load of compost on the garden this month, since the truck may be deemed non-road worthy next month, and I might not get a chance to get a truck load of compost next Spring. (I will have to start making my own compost, I suppose)

That should keep me this month, I also have two books I need to sit down and read, and the MLB playoffs start next week. It's better than running out of Ruffles...

No comments: