Monday, September 26, 2011

Restaurant Review

Rocky Mountain Wing Shack
Provo, Utah

There's been a place up in American Fork for a few years that makes pretty good wings. They cook them to the crispy side, ala Duff's. If you want hot, you need to order XX Hot, or XXX Hot. You can't just order medium like you do at Duff's and assume they will be hot at all. (They have a XXX Hot challenge. Eat 12 boneless wings in 30 minutes or less. I haven't done it, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard.)

I usually get Hot Garlic wings. They aren't super hot, but aren't mild, and have a good flavor to them. They also serve tator tots, if you want them. I really like them. They cook them crispy, and have the right amount of salt on them. In the past, Tom, Drew, and I, or some combination of the three of us, would wander up there and get wings, but it's all the way up there (15 miles or something silly like that), so I don't go that often.

I try to stay within 2 miles of the house, unless food is involved. This week, they opened a "Wing Shack" here in town. It's 4 miles away from the house, but it's much closer than the AF store. It's very much closer than Buffalo. (2000 miles.) It's only 2 miles from my office. I have already been there twice.

Tara discovered another reason to go there Saturday night. She ordered their $2 side salad, and loved it. It had plenty of fresh veggies on it, and had a good, crisp flavor. She liked it much more than side salads she gets in other places around here, that you might pay up to $4-5 for.

They aren't cheap wings, they have a lunch special - 8 wings, tator tots or fries, and a drink, for $9. They have a all day 20 wing deal with tator tots or fries, and two drinks, for $20. They have a 40 wing deal, with lots of tator tots or fries, and two drinks, for $37. That's the one Drew, Tom, and I usually get. Last night, I ate 17 wings and a bunch of tots. I also had 5 wings for lunch on Sunday, and 5 wings for dinner.

I personally would like to see this place stick around. It's nice to have a place to go to get a decent chicken wing, and that's a rarity out here. Everyone in the Springville/Provo/Orem area should check it out.

No comments: