Thursday, September 08, 2011

Waiting for them to give me a reason to stay...

I am the Committee Chair for our local Scout Troop/Venture Crew. We don't have a Varsity Team. Our BSA district has a monthly roundtable meeting. Last month, the Scoutmaster, Venture Advisor, and I went to the roundtable meeting only to find that the thing had been cancelled for the month. I had even checked the website that day to make sure it was still on their calendar.

Tonight the Scoutmaster and I made it to the meeting, they started the meeting by asking where the roundtable commissioners were. They had gotten new ones in June, and wanted them to come up and lead the meeting. One of the guys went up, said he had no idea what he was doing, and hoped the other guy would show up. The other guy didn't.

They had a few announcements, and started sending people off to the breakout sessions. Our Scoutmaster went to the Scout session. They started to send the Varsity leaders off, and asked the Varsity guy to take the Venture leaders as well, since the regular guy couldn't make it. I didn't really have an interest in going to that breakout, since they were very unlikely to talk about Venture issues.

I went over to the 11 year old scout session, and found that it was headed up by the two leaders from our Stake that are running our New Scout program. I don't like the way that's being run right now, and I definitely don't like the laissez-faire attitude those two have about it and the boys that are there, so I didn't go into that breakout.

I went back to the Scout breakout, where our Scoutmaster was. I sat behind him for a minute, and decided that we didn't need two of us in the same session. I ended up bailing on him, which I am sure he appreciated. Next time it happens, I will let him bail.

It would be nice if the District was just a little more organized about it, so that those of us that take the time to be there, when there are other things we could be doing, actually get something out of it. Maybe I just have a bad attitude. Either that, or I'm right...

2 comments:

john white said...

we think you're right

Anonymous said...

I liked the article, but some disagree