Saturday, October 06, 2012

Long overdue restaurant reviews

There are some restaurants around here that we have been to recently that deserve a mention.  We'll just see what kind of mention...

First, last night we went to the Cheesecake Factory in Salt Lake for dinner.  We sat down at 5:30, and ordered a couple of appetizers, ordered dinner, ate the appetizers, kind of hung out, and then at about 6pm, I noticed that the Braves were playing the Cardinals in the Wild Card game, so I pulled out my iPad, started playing with the thing (I've had the MLB streaming app this year, and they updated it recently to include the option of watching different camera angles).  I had turned it on in the middle of the delay where they where the Atlanta fans were trying to decide if the umpire would live or not. 

Anyway, the manager of the place came up, and apologized for our meal being late, said it would be out in just a minute, and he would comp us a couple of cheesecakes.  Up to that point, we hadn't even realized that we had been there so long, and it was another ten minutes before our food came.  I had fish and chips, they tasted like they had been under the heat lamp for a bit, but it was still fine.  Tara had ordered something that included cous cous, I assume whoever was cooking it messed up the first batch, and that's why our food was so late. 

Last time we were at a Cheesecake Factory, we were there something like an hour after sitting down, waiting for our food.  Had dessert comped that day too...

Anyway, here is some quick clips about some restaurants around town:

Thai food - Go to Thai Mango, not Thai Kitchen.  Thai Mango is perfect, as long as you get the owner lady serving you.  She always remembers what we typically get.  The food is generally good, and generous serving.  We were there a couple of weeks ago with some friends, and had some trouble with the kid that was serving us, his English was not good at all.  Thai Kitchen seems to have much smaller portions, not really as flavorful, and always seems to have dried out their rice.  (I say that, but the only thing I order at either place is the beef waterfall.  It's under the salad category, but it's mostly meat...)

Heart Attack - There is a place in town called Cubby's Italian Beef, it's fairly new. I've been there six times, I think.  They serve Italian Beef, Italian Sausage, etc.  They have something called a Heart Attack, which is an Italian Sausage with Italian Beef on top.  It's great.  If I keep getting it, I'm going to have a heart attack...  They also serve Rosemary Pepper Fries.  Very salty, lots of rosemary, and fantastic.  I could go there and just eat the fries, if they didn't have the heart attack on the menu...

WingShack - There is a place in town that serves a pretty good chicken wing.  I usually get hot garlic pepper or extra hot garlic pepper.  It's good stuff.  They also serve tator tots.  Wings and tator tots, you can't go wrong...  We go there from work every once in a while, a couple of weeks ago, we went for lunch, and the guy had two of us and two other people and that was it for his lunch rush.  He also does a punch card, I had filled one, and redeemed it, so his lunch rush for the day was a net of 2 meals.  Not good if you want to stay in business.  I left thinking he might be in trouble.  We went for lunch again a couple of days ago, there were about ten people there when we got there, and by the time we left, the place was jam packed.  I've never seen it that full, and the guy looked pretty happy.  The wings are good, nice and crispy, and the sauce is plenty flavorful.

Pizza Buffet - There is a place called Pizza Pie Cafe in town.  The place is always packed.  Kate wanted us to take her there for her birthday, we went, but Tara and I both did not feel that great afterwards.  Too much wheat product for me, and I don't really like the pizza there.  They have about a dozen different flavors, but I would generally pass on at least ten of them, unless I had just paid ten dollars to eat them.  They also have a pasta thing, but it's just too much wheat.  I don't know what upset Tara's stomach.

Emmanuel's - Around the corner from our house is a new Mexican restaurant.  It seems to be run by the same three guys all the time.  Their food is really good, portions are generous, and they seem like really nice people.  They don't say tons, but seem nice.  I'm guessing they would have more to say if I spoke Spanish...  Anyway, this location has had a bit of trouble keeping places open, but just across the street is a dive that has been open for 60 years or something, hopefully these guys can stay open...

There are others, I am sure, but that's all for now.

No comments: