Friday, October 05, 2012

Noel and claw machines

I've talked about claw machines here before.  Noel seems to enjoy watching them go, especially because many times, it means she gets a new toy.  If we go to a place like the local grocery or Walmart, she gets excited because she knows a claw machine is there.  If she sees the thing, she generally gets really excited.  At Walmart, I try to stick to the 25 cent machines, because you get four tries for a dollar.  If they have one of those fun centers inside the store, those generally work better than the ones they have out by the entrances.  (Pro tip!)

This summer, I was in the middle of Nebraska at a Walmart at 11:00pm, buying laundry soap.  I checked out their machines, and tried the 25 cent machine there.  On my first drop, I snagged two little stuffed animals.  There were a couple of little kids watching, and they were absolutely amazed.  Here in town, the 50 cent machine at Red Robin is a pretty fair machine.  I've gotten several decent sized stuffed animals out of that one.  Also here in town, the machine at Shopko is garbage.  Don't waste your money there.

I have an app on my iPad called "Gas Buddy" that let's you know the gas prices near your location.  It depends on users uploading gas prices.  Maybe I can build an app that lets you find, rate, and comment on claw machines near you.  Call it "Claw Buddy", "The Claw", or "Mystic Portal"...

The other day, we were at the grocery store.  We stopped at the claw machine, as is the tradition, and tried pulling something out.  I picked up a stuffed animal a couple of times, but it fell out of the claw.  Noel watched this, and after we didn't get anything, she turned her head and got a frown going.  She had the "I've never been more disappointed in my father than I am now" look on her face, and wouldn't talk or look at me for a few minutes.

I guess it's a mark of success when you one year old expects a toy at every claw machine, because she gets one so often...

No comments: