Monday, January 07, 2013

Restaurant Review

Las Glorias
Orem Utah

Saturday night, we went to a place up in Orem called Las Glorias.  It's a Mexican restaurant about 330 paces away from 5 guys.

When we got there, the place wasn't packed, but it wasn't empty, either.  The waitress tried seating us over near the back door, where they have two booths between the restrooms and the door, in a fairly narrow area.  It's freezing out here, I think we were near ten degrees when we went in, I didn't want to get frozen out every time someone new came in.  We got them to seat us at the other end of the place, which was much more open.

I'm not sure what was going on in the kitchen that night, but the service was very slow.  I'm not sure if this was just that night, or if they are always like that, I can't imagine they are always that slow, but we were there almost 15 minutes before they took our order, and 45 minutes before our food came out.  Several sets of people just up and left the place, they had been sitting so long.  (This restaurant is near movie theaters, which doesn't really mix well with slow service, I am sure.)

I ordered their combo plate that included a tamale, burrito, and enchilada.  I mostly ordered it because of the tamale.  I like a really good tamale, but they are really hard to find sometimes around here.  I made some once, but it took all day, and they were fantastic.  Should have made 100 more and froze the extras or something. 

Anyway, when our food managed to show, (we were not headed to the movies, just hiding from the kids, so waiting for the food was ok...) we had to ask for silverware.  I think the waitress was having a bad night, likey due to food not coming out of the kitchen.  My plate was covered in sauce.  It would have been a bad thing had my tamale not been dry.  (Dry as in no sauce, not dry as in dried out.)  I'm not sure if having the sauce filling the plate, and not in the tamale was an intended feature of the dish, it turned out ok.  I would have been disappointed if I got the tamale without the extra sauce.

The food tasted good.  It wasn't super expensive, but I'm not sure I would go back, solely based on the speed of the service we got.  (Really the lack there of.)  Guess it's time to keep exploring...

No comments: