Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Updates

I get notifications of updates from apps all the time on my iPad. 


Back in the days, I used to keep all my apps up to date on my android phone.  When the notification came, I would read through the release notes, then update the thing.  For some reason, in the IOS community, you tend to get the description of "various bug fixes" quite often with app updates.  I don't understand why they don't just explain the things they fixed.  Maybe they do, and I am looking in the wrong place.

Anyway, I tend to ignore the updates if one of the following are true:
  • It's an app I rarely use
  • The description of the update ticked me off
  • The description involves functionality of the app that I don't care about
  • I am in the mood where I've decided that I'm not doing it, simply because something told me I should.  (This act of rebellion happens a bit...)
Last month, I was up over 30 apps that needed updates.  I thought I was doing pretty good, especially since I don't tend to collect apps willy nilly, and like to delete unused apps from time to time.  Then I got sick, and went to update some game or something that was actually releasing new functionality.  I accidentally clicked the "update all" button.  I figure I must have been delirious or something from being sick.

Is this weird?  Should I be taking delight in not patching the apps on my iPad?  I certainly try to keep the systems up to date at work.  Is it perverse to want to try to get the unpatched app number over 50, without just installing a bunch of junk on the iPad?  Do other people do this, or is it just me?

No comments: