Thursday, January 31, 2013

TurboTax

I've used TurboTax online for a number of years now to process our returns.  I really like that they import your previous data, and off you go.  (Worth not having to look up all the kids Social Security Numbers...)

Anyway, I got our taxes submitted last week, piece of cake.  The federal return was accepted in under the normal 48 hours, and now seven days later, the state return is still not accepted.  Just sitting there in a pending status.  As far as I can tell, Utah is already processing returns, I'm guessing some sort of transmission problem on the Turbotax or Utah Tax Commission side.

Tonight I got online and waited for 90 minutes for a support rep to join their chat tool.  Here is how things went:
10_Jon C: John, I do not know why your UT return is still pending. Hopefully, now that the IRS are processing Federal returns, that your tax return status for the UT will be accepted.
John Payne: Why would the one be dependent on the other?
John Payne: Utah appears to have been processing returns for several weeks from what I can tell.
10_Jon C: Usually, that is how it works.
John Payne: So the answer is to wait several more days?
10_Jon C: I would definiitely do so
John Payne: Ok, I will be back here Monday if no change has happened...
Now, I am sure the guy spent no time looking into the problem.  I am guessing he had 6-10 different chat windows up, answering questions in some rapid fire manner as they came up.  I haven't ever seen the state depend on the federal.  I don't even know how they would be connected.  It's just silly.  Why am I posting about this?  Because the end of the chat message made me laugh:
10_Jon C: Now, can you say that I have done everything in my power to resolve your issue today?
John Payne: I'm not sure about that, but I am willing to wait a few more days...
10_Jon C: I understand. hope that you are pleased with the level of customer service that you experienced today. I will send you a survey in 24 hours and will be about the customer service that I provided you today, it will ask you just a couple of questions. Can I count on you to fill this out for me?
John Payne: absolutely

10_Jon C: I definitely appreciate it. Thank you for using TurboTax, and have a great weekend!

Now, what exactly does he think I am going to say in his survey?  I can't wait to get it.  It's not like he actually did anything to make my 90 minutes worth anything at all.  Just gave an answer to get rid of me.  Oh well.  Guess we will see what happens.

No comments: