Thursday, November 22, 2007

Doctor's Visit

I went to a new doctor yesterday. My doctor is really too busy to actually see patients, unless they have 4 to 6 weeks to wait for an appointment.

I've previously talked about problems I'm having. After the Vitamin D regimen, things didn't get better. This doctor came highly recommended from someone at work, but he also sounds like he had "witch doctor" tendencies sometimes.

Anyway, he interviewed me, and got some of my medical history. I thought he would run out of room on his paper. We talked about me not having a gall bladder, he said "You're kind of young to already have your gall bladder out." I just shrugged. We talked about my sleep apnea, he said "You're kind of young to have sleep apnea." I just shrugged.

He looked me over, and poked at me for a while. He told me I seem to be in general good health, except for being tired, and in pain, and having a tender colon, and having an irritated nose and throat. (My throat wasn't sore.) Anyway, he told me I have sensitivity in 14 or 15 of the 18 fybromyalgia test points. He said that usually means a diagnosis of that or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but he didn't want to pigeon hole me into that right off the bat. He took some blood to do some blood work, and is testing for Lyme disease. He thinks I have a yeast overgrowth problem in my gut. (A white coated tongue is a symptom?)

The blood work for Lyme Disease takes 10 days to process, I am going back in 2 weeks. (He would have had me back Monday or Tuesday otherwise. Getting back in in just a few days? What a concept.) He wants me to start on a yeast medicine, and start a new diet tomorrow. (It would have been right away, but today is Thanksgiving, and he didn't want to ruin it for me.)

My new diet is a yeast control diet. Starting tomorrow, for a month, the following are off limits:
  • All sugars and sugar containing foods
  • White flour and refined grains
  • yeast breads and pastries (no doughnuts for a month)
  • All cheese, except cottage cheese and cream cheese
  • All fruit juices and fruits, fresh and dried
  • All coffee, tea, and alcohol. (I've got that one nailed down at least...)
  • Leftovers that are too old
  • Mushrooms
  • peanuts and peanut products
  • processed meats
  • All artificial sweeteners
  • Vinegar
The things I can eat:
  • All meats, fish, poultry, and eggs
  • All vegetables, including potatoes and tomatoes.
  • All whole grains
  • Corn tortillas
  • Butter and oils
  • Milk and plain yogurt
So, it's not as bad as it could be, I guess. One of the guys at work has been struggling with Chronic Fatigue at work, he did this thing a couple of years ago, and said it helped him a ton, so we'll see what happens...

In the meantime, I'm planning to eat as much of the apple pie and blackberry/raspberry pie that I made today...

No comments: