Thursday, May 21, 2009

13.6 hours of a Thursday (Give or take 23 minutes)

Morning. Morning came much too early. It had something to do with the fact that I started up watch a recording of the last city council meeting until 2am. Sometimes those people are just knuckleheads.

Adam screamed his head off this morning, normally he sleeps in, but this morning he was screaming at the top of his lungs. Tara couldn't get him to stop. I would have tried ignoring it, but I told the girls I would take them to school to get their lunch account balances straightened out. And Emma got to eat lunch at school today, the report was that she had to bring her money, and they couldn't charge to the account. I barely got out of bed in time to get them to school.

The lunch lady got me the balances for the three girls. Kate was almost out, only had 2 or 3 days worth left. (Only 5 more days to deal with it.) Emma had a bunch on her account still, but only eats breakfast. I asked them to reduce Emma's account down to what she needed, and level out the other 2 accounts. The lunch ladies agreed that they were perfectly able to charge Emma's lunch today to her account. I walked Emma down to her class and let her teacher know.

It took me another 45 minutes or so to get around to getting ready for work. I could have very easily just went back to sleep for another 5 or 6 hours, I only used my BiPap once this week. My ankle has been keeping up up a little the last couple of days too. Decided to go to work, had stuff to do, and there was a free lunch in it for me. Took a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper cans to work with me, promised Tara that I wouldn't drink them all. Gave one to John Peterson when I got there so that I could keep my promise...

We have a guy at work in a wheelchair. He got there a the same time as me, the sidewalks were being watered by the sprinkler system. The grass between my truck and the doors was dry, I hobbled across the grass while he plowed through the wet in his chair. Later in the day he offered to loan me one of his handicap parking passes for a while, I declined.

Have a server to repurpose & reinstall. I needed to find fiber cards for it. (We had some spare, but I used the last two spare a couple of days ago.) I thought I had a machine somewhere that had cards in it, but were not being used. This ended up not being the case. Found a server that could be turned off for a few weeks to use the cards. The machine from a couple of days ago couldn't see the cards, spent some time working on it until I got it fixed. New machine to be reinstalled tomorrow.

Lunhc was good, they have these "Quality Improvement Lunches" where the director lure in a dozen engineers a month with food, then talk to them about something or the other. They rotate around who goes. Seems like the discussion was targeted at a few others today, the Smokehouse was good as always.

Watched the BYU baseball game on the streaming TV today at work. They won the first game, TCU smoked them in the second. Tourney over for them. I also worked on the one project that has been taking most of the time at work lately...

Came home at 4pm to meet the window guy from Pella. Turned the swamp cooler on. We won't be doing the blinds in the windows, they looked too fancy for the house. And the blinds are not sealed, so the girls could still get into them. (And once they saw how it was done, I guarentee they would have thought it was cool, we would have never kept them out after that.) I should get a quote back from Pella tomorrow on normal windows. Sent some measurements to try to get a quote from Amsco. Home Depot coming by on Saturday morning.

Tara took Ruth to go shopping with her Mom. (Ruth's birthday was yesterday.) Eventually I decided the kids needed something to eat, I gave them leftovers, followed by cheesesticks, followed by cereal. Highly nutritious. They seemed to like it ok, and the fridge got cleaned out a little. I had Salt & Vinegar potatoe chips and a Diet Dr. Pepper.

My grass is long, and needs to be watered. I asked a neighborhood kid to mow my lawn for the next 10 weeks or so. He agreed, I asked him how much he wanted to be paid. He told me I didn't have to pay him. I suggested $50, which made him pretty happy.

A bit later, I noticed that the dishwasher was leaking out the front. Might be the end of the dishwasher. Tara was thinking she was ready for a new one anyway, in part because I don't prerinse. The existing dishwasher had a good run. Need to look around, but Sears has a 15% off sale the next two days.

Towards dusk, it was getting kind of crazy in the house. I took Adam out front and sat him in the grass. He kept his right foot elevated for about 20 minutes so it would hit the grass. I kept waiting for him to drop the foot, he kept it up there. Strong kid. I sat on the porch and pulled weeds for a while until I realized that misquitos were sucking me dry. We went inside.

Lily wanted to go for a drive, so I took her out for a drive. I took a can of Dr. Pepper, but realized that I drank 4 or 5 already today, so the can it still sitting in the truck unopened. I need to remember to get it out in the morning so it doesn't heat up and burst in there tomorrow. We puttered around for a bit, then drive to the bank to get the $50 to pay the for the lawn mowing. Might as well pay him up front. We took the long way through campus on the way back. Lily just sat and enjoyed the ride.

When we got home, I noticed that the water for the garden was one. I'm not sure how long I had it on, I am sure the plants could use it. Tara was home, and bought me some birthday presents. Jeans, a "Marvin the Martian" shirt, and a Wii brain game. We played the game for a while.

No comments: