Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Random topics from the past week

Emma - Today at school Emma had a picnic to school, she was supposed to bring a sandwich. Last night I asked her what kind of sandwich she wanted. She wanted a pepperoni sandwich with butter. This morning, I made her a pepperoni sandwich with butter. I also made her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, just in case the other didn't work out. Both sandwiches were eaten. The report is that the pepperoni sandwich tasted like butter.

Housework - The Home Depot commercial tells me to turn up my "doing" dial up a notch. I think my "sit on the couch and do nothing" switch locks the "doing" dial firmly in place.

Home remodel - I'm about to buy some windows. And I am working on getting quotes for heating/AC. And soon we will start having the place torn up.

DVR - They updated our DVR over the weekend. It finally works the way I think it should. You can record something on a particular day/time, record extra time in the front or back of a recording, record every instance it finds of a particular show, etc. They wiped out all our pending recordings, not such a big loss, it was mostly kids shows, and the kids are headed out on a vacation soon. There is still something like 25 hours of kids shows on the thing now. They call it a "PVR" now. Supposed to stand for "Personal Digital Recorder". They think people are afraid of the word digital? Or were people thinking they couldn't record the non-digital channels? Now scheduled to record? PTI and MLB Baseball. Favorite PTI quote last week? - "Why would anyone let their child grow up to be a soccer referee?"

Ankle - I went to the orothopedic surgeon yesterday. He thinks he saw a chip at the top of the ankle. I have an MRI tomorrow. If the chip is a floating chip, he will scope the ankle to get it out. If not, we will talk about it more. In a walking boot for a while longer. And the ankle hurts.

Quiz - I did a "How well do you know John Payne quiz" on facebook the other day. It might be a little hard for any one person to ace, unless they figure out the trick to it. Drew and Adam both got 75%. Most everyone gives me too much credit for my Freshman year college grades. And some people think I played the tuba. (Maybe I am just Oompa band looking.)

Birthday - I had a birthday over the weekend. 34 now. We had a little BBQ. I tried 2 jokes for the day, which varying results. One was - "I have decided to defer the mid-life crisis another year" The other - "A couple of years ago I spent 3 months eating nothing but preservatives. I haven't aged a day since..." A check for $1200 came in the mail that day. Not a bad deal.

Garden - Some stuff is growing in the garden, other things are having a bit of a hard time. The quail got some of it. Peas are doing well. I have about a dozen tomato plants still back there, most of them are doing ok. Not sure exactly what varieties are there at this point from the grazing the quail did and replanting. Corn is growing, as well as some combination of squashes, watermelon, cantelope, and stuff. It's the mystery garden. And it needs some serious weeding.

The fast baby - Adam is fully crawling at this point. When motivated, he can really move. And he thinks he is hot stuff. He has no problems heading into and through the kitchen. He still refuses to roll over from his back to front. Easy way to keep him close? Roll him over. He's like a turtle.

iPod - I got my old iPod back from Tara the other day. It only cost me a new one for her. and I had to bring it back from the dead for a second time. We will have to see how long it lives this time.

19 days - Only 19 days until I eat myself sick with chicken wings.

More later.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I only guessed tuba becuase I missed the saxophone opton (or whatever it was) and it was the only other horned instrument.