Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Shoes and Walking, or "walking wounded", anyway...

Several months ago we were asked to help out with our Stake's Youth handcart trek. This sounded like fun, but we needed new shoes. My sneakers were full of holes. I talked about Shoe Carnival here before. Trek or no Trek, I needed new footwear.

Tara got some shoes from Famous Footwear. She found some shoes she liked, but not the exact right size at the store she was in. She purchased the right size, they mailed the shoes to the house, no extra charge. She seems to like her shoes.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I started into a fibromyalgia flareup. Not a lot of fun, but things are starting to get somewhat better. All except my ankle. My ankle has been giving me all sorts of problems still. I tried walking Emma to a birthday party on Saturday, and the 3 block walk about did me in. The pain gets worse the more I walk on it, I have been trying for the most part to take it easy on it. On Monday, one of the guys at work mentioned that I might have a fracture in it, which still lets me walk on it and wouldn't be all that comfortable. He had a good point. I thought about it for a while, and decided that some of the pain while walking, and some of the pain that lingered could be a break. (Just not one of the spectacular breaks I have done, one of the of the 'hard to pin down' breaks...) On Monday I made an appointment with my doctor for next week to talk about the flare up. I figured I couldn't take him my ankle, he doesn't have an Xray machine, so I called the place where the surgeon that did the last 2 works.

Dr. Jackson doesn't do ankles anymore, they hired a new guy that is supposed to be one of the best. I knew this from a call a couple of years ago. During my call on Monday, the receptionist told me that the new doctor only took referrals, I would need to see someone else and get them to refer me. Not my favorite answer. I asked why they needed a referral, the big reason was so that they could get a medical history on me. I explained that Dr. Jackson had operated on my ankle twice, and no other work had been done on my ankle, but I was having problems with it. She said she would leave my information for the doctor and his nurse, and they would get back to me.

Great. I figured that might be the last I would hear from them. Yesterday afternoon, they called back, said they looked over my file, and the doctor would be happy to see me. His earliest appointment was 3 weeks away. I took it, I hope I am not still having problems then, but I might still go in to get looked at.

We got taken off the "for sure" list for Trek. President Palmer thinks we should be taken off the list completely at this point. Missy is still taking the time off, in case we go. Maybe they will decide to bring us up to help cook or something.

The Wellness program at work is currently doing their annual walking thing. 8000 steps a day, it started Monday. 8000 steps is not a lot of steps. (Go ahead and count for a day or two.) I am already falling behind. The thing goes through the end of June, I hope I can eventually get caught up. ($25 if I make it) We have a little group for the Wellness program at work, I named it "Walking Wounded". I think it is completely appropriate at this point...

Whining over.

No comments: