Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Gadgets of 2009

I've gotten a few new gadgets this year:
  • New laptop - Dell Latitude E6500 - My old one was a Dell Precision M90. The laptops are about the same size. This one is a bit smaller and lighter, I didn't realize it was so heavy until I started carrying the new one around. MY backpack feels so much lighter these days...
  • New monitor at work - I went from a 20 inch monitor to a 24 inch monitor. This was a 'pecking order' acquisition... The 24 inch monitor is pretty nice. Lots of room, and plenty bright.
  • Logitech VX Nano wireless mouse - This thing is really nice, it's very sensitive, seems to move much faster than any other mouse. You can really tell the difference when you go back to another mouse. It's got a scroll wheel, with fly wheel mode that will let you scroll through pages super fast. I use it all the time when I am on the DNS modification page for work, scrolling through subnets. The mouse is definitely a winner. The usb interface for the mouse is a short little thing that only sticks a quarter inch out of the laptop. I haven't removed it since I got the laptop.
  • Droid - so far I like it. I'm not posting to this blog for it yet, it sounds like the two primary apps for blog posts from the droid need at least one more release to be ready. That's ok, I'm not looking to release my laptop with the thing. Turn by turn navigation, google sky, and all the other integrated google apps is very nice... If I find any phone number on the web browser, I can select it, then call it. This is very nice for someone that calls lots and lots of people in the Stake.
  • Roku Netflix player - Tara got this for Christmas, not what she was expecting. Mailing it to Drew's house did the trick. So far, it seems really nice. It streams a little better than a laptop streams, and goes through the TV. On Saturday, I asked Tara what she wanted to watch, she said "anything". I played an episode of "The Incredible Hulk", I'm not sure that was what Tara was expecting, but we watched it anyway...
I think 2010 will involve less new gadgets than 2009. I have plenty to deal with right now.

No comments: