Thursday, December 31, 2009

Remembering Y2K

Hard to believe Y2K was 10 years ago. Back then, I was one of the computer room shift supervisors. Amy had done some work with Herb and Gordon getting us ready for the thing. The director, Ferrell, was a little off by then, I think. A couple of days before the 31st, he brought in some really long extension cords and some tarps for us to have on hand. He seemed to think we could just run the cords over to the next building and plug the servers in if we had to. I asked him what the tarp was for, he thought it would be useful if water started coming in from the ceiling. I still don't know what he thought would happen to the structural integrity of the roof... At around 10pm, one of the campus police officers came over, Ferrell had him over just in case we needed him. (We didn't, but I think he enjoyed sitting there all night eating snacks just as much as we did.)

Anyhow, at the time, I was still an hourly employee. I hit 40 hours before the 31st, and worked about 14 hours or something that day. We were incredibly bored the entire day, watching New Year's celebrations on TV from around the world, and watching the reports of nothing else happening.

No worldwide computer meltdown, no alien invasion, no natural disaster. Just a very big paycheck from all the overtime...

Happy new year everyone.

No comments: