Thursday, December 24, 2009

To Droid, or not to Droid

A couple of the guys at work turned in their ENv's for Droids last week. They seem pretty happy. Feature happy. Jess let me look at his twice in the last two days. Yesterday we turned bluetooth on, I started playing with it, and the thing hung. Today he was showing me the SSH interface, and after I tried connecting to one of the machines, the app crashed. I think Jess' phone hates me.

Anyway, my phone is an old Sansung flip phone, I was due to get a new phone in Aug 2008. I guess it's time. I've logged 440 hours on this phone Other phones I've had in the past have started losing charge way before now, or dropping calls all the time, or wearing out in some other way. This one seems to be holding up ok.

I want to stay with Verizon, I've never had a problem with Verizon's coverage, pretty much anywhere but downtown New Orleans, and then only in my hotel room. Nothing in the current advertising campaign AT&T is running would really lead me to believe their service is all that great. I've heard people complain, and the Stake President doesn't get service in his office unless he leans forward in his chair. (That might be an exaggeration...) I don't spend tons of time in our Data Center anymore, but they get Verizon only down there. These reasons pretty much kept me not jumping on the iPhone until they got themselves on the Verizon network...

Back to the Droid. Lots of interesting features. The most important thing for me for a phone is how nice the 'conversation experience' is, meaning talking to people on the phone. I asked Steve E at work about this today, who has had his Droid for a while, and he said it was the best phone he has ever had in that respect. He had glowing reviews for talking to people on it, and even better things to say about the speaker phone.

Turns out those might have been the Droids I was looking for after all. I ordered one this afternoon. I should have it Monday, maybe Tuesday. I expect my productivity to go down by quite a bit for a while that day after it shows up...

No comments: