Thursday, December 10, 2009

When the Levee Breaks

It's still cold. Definitely cold. Single digits still at nearly 11am. Last Thursday night when I went out to plug vents, I got three of them closed up. I had no gloves on, after the third one was closed, my hands were getting a little too cold, I went inside. The next morning the back bath sink was working, but the truck had a flat tire and the front bath tub backed up.

If fixed the truck, went to the store for some Liquid Plumber, and poured it down the tub. A few hours later, the thing drained. Hair and some sort of sticky paper came up from the drain before the clog unbound.

Yesterday the tub backed up again. Back to the store for Liquid Plumber. I dumped it down last night, this morning there was no difference. I dumped another bottle down to see if it would bring anything up. The stuff was foaming up, but not bringing anything with it.

I went and did a load of laundry, a load of dishes, and took out all the trash. Finally the inspiration came - Maybe there was a fourth vent over by where the bathtub was. I went out there, and sure enough, an uncovered vent, right behind one of the bushes. I plugged the vent with insulation, and went back inside. The water in the tub was ice cold.

I scooped most of the cold water out of the tub, and loaded it up with hot water. This made it end up as sort of warm water. An hour or so later, and the tub has drained. Now I can take a shower. Getting inspiration is so nice...

2 comments:

Tara said...

I just have to say YEAAAA for John and his problem-solving brain. It makes my life so much easier.

Debi said...

What I am wondering is how you (and Tara) find time to do all this stuff?? Unplug bathtubs, bake cookies for the whole ward? You are amazing!