Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The award winning John Payne

We have a meeting every Tuesday here, yesterday Sorrel announced that he invited the CIO and assistant CIO to our meeting today. We couldn't get out of him why.

Today before the meeting, he reminded John Peterson that they were coming and he needed to be on time. When I got there, there was some random HR dude sitting there, then a department HR lady came in with Kelly (assistant CIO). I figured they were there to give John Peterson an award of some sort. We have an initiative here for administrative employees called the "Staff and Administrative Employee Recognition Awards", given to people for demonstrating one of our key values...

After the meeting started, Kelly got up to announce that I got an award for demonstrating 'Competency'. This surprised me. Sorrel had it disguised in plain sight very well. It turns out that the head of the library IT department nominated me in December. (Thanks Grant!)

Kelly told a story about being in Buffalo when I was little helping Dad with some Honcho programs. He said he ate dinner with us one night, and as a little kid, I was just as tenacious as I am now. I know how I might deserve the label now, but what was I doing at the dinner all those years ago? This merits further research.



Anyway, the award comes with this gyroscope clock, a $100 bill, and $100 in restaurant gift certificates. Not a bad deal at all. I have long said that if our department really wanted to thank us, they should pony up free snacks, so I took the $100 bill to Costco and got snacks for our team. Free snacks - Not a bad day after all.

I have to go now, because I might have to give the award back if I can't get this broken server fixed...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats!

rob