Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chaos!

Verizon is releasing a new phone on Thursday - the Droid X. They've decided to do a promotional contest where they are hosting a scavenger hunt. They've been releasing little clues about the location of 21 phones, across the country for the past few weeks. On the day they release the thing in the target city, they give a final clue about the location, then 30 minutes later give the GPS coordinates.

A couple of days ago, they left a clue that one would be released today in Buffalo. I got Amy and Dave committed to looking for the thing. I figured it would be at the Anchor bar, but this morning the clue they released said to start at the waterfront and then cross the 190. This made me think it would be at the Peace Bridge park, I sent Amy that direction. It was kind of a bad clue, because the GPS coordinates had the thing at the Anchor Bar.

Turned out that Dave stayed at work, so he went downstairs to check things out, and Amy headed back to help look. Turns out that's when the chaos started. Amy said there were people everywhere. People peeling out from stop signs, parking all over the place, and people running all over. Must have been a slow day in Buffalo. I'm still waiting to hear the full play-by-play from her. (They didn't win the Droid, they were looking for a box, turns out it was just a little card. My fault.)

Later in the day, they released one in Oklahoma City. I got Tara's brother to head down to the area with his kids. I sounds like it was just as crazy down there. People running all over the place trying to find the thing. (This time I was able to prep him on what to really look for.) The guy that found it was right in front of him, but John said it was crazy down there.

They released seven of these in different cities today, I imagine hundreds of people in all of these cities swarming the areas running all over the place trying to find these Droids. Mildly uncontrolled chaos. Seems pretty funny to me.

One of the things is released tomorrow, I figure it's going to be in Utah or Colorado, based on the clues. I'm really hoping for Utah, so I can run up to where ever it is, and make a video of hundreds of people running all over the place, looking for a little card.

No comments: