Sunday, July 25, 2010

Random thoughts from John

Now with hashtags!

I rarely use hashtags on Twitter, unless I really need them for the punchline. Sometimes it's just a matter of not being able to get the thought into 140 characters. I also try not to abbreviate on twitter, texting style, just to get the message out. Anyway, here are some random thoughts, for your reading pleasure, including twitter style hashtags. (for the punchlines, of course)
  • A few weeks ago, Tara and I watched an episode of Home Improvement where Tim got electrocuted. It reminded me of the time when we lived in the house on Villa when I had the little black and white tube TV up in the attic and decided to take it apart. I can't remember if it was plugged in or not, but I do remember it shocking the stuffing out of me. A couple of weeks ago, I put in a light outside without flipping the circuit breaker first. #somethingsneverchange
  • Last night the kettleheads across the street from us were being incredibly stupid. They were lighting off fireworks. (The Utah kind, that don't lift off the ground.) They were lighting them, then jumping over them, Jack-be-nimble style, as they went off. I guess that was supposed to impress the girls that were over there. Then they were lighting them and chasing each other around the place with them. I was sure we would hear an ambulance before they were done. I was also sure I was never that dumb. #IamsureTarahassomecounterexamplestothatlaststatement
  • I got Adam a ballcap at the RedHat Summit conference I went to last month. If he sees the thing, he wants to put it on. He found it in the diaper bag during church today, and put it on. How do you explain to a two year old that it's not respectful to wear hats in the chapel? Adam sure wasn't listening. It's 10pm right now, he's in the back room, and wearing his hat. I secretly hope he wears it for years, giving it sweat stains and starts wearing the fabric out. #ballcapsarebetterthatway
  • The truck is slowly wearing out. I am sure that if I invest some money into it, the truck could last for years. I am equally as sure that the engine could throw a rod tomorrow. (235k miles) It won't pass inspection in November when the registration is due to be renewed. It needs the following: 2 new tires, a new windshield, it leaks about a quart of oil a month, the bed is starting to rust out, there is a suspension arm that almost didn't pass last year, and in general it seems a bit tired, doesn't have the giddy up it used to have, especially in the very cold or very hot. The truck is a lot like me, really. I have all those same problems, except for the oil leak. Anyhow, I don't see it passing inspection at all this Winter, and I don't see myself spending close to $2000 to get those things fixed, especially there is no guarantee on how long it will live, really. I think it would be fun, if I had the time and the money, to just drive it across the country, and see how far I get. Just go off sightseeing and visiting people until the thing finally dies. Then you take it to a junker, and buy a plane ticket home. #thatisahobbyforsomeonewithoutsixkids
  • I haven't been reading much lately. I don't know what the problem is, I guess I'm just lazy. Maybe it's in part because I haven't been walking to work. I think it's mostly just laziness at this point. #that'srighttoolazytoread
  • I got all the laundry in the house done yesterday. It took the better part of two days. Eight people in the house piles the stuff up pretty quickly. By the time the washer and dryer die, and I can't get them fixed, I am hoping the price for the high capacity, high efficiency washers and dryers drop even further. It will be really nice to do more laundry faster. I got all the laundry done yesterday, and today there is already more than a full load to wash. #gettingtotheendofthelaundryislikegettingtotheendoftheinternet
  • The camera on my phone continues to get worse. I can rarely get the thing to focus any more. That's why there are no pictures from Boston, and not too many pictures here lately. Every once in a while my phone will report not being able to connect to the camera, and every once in a while will focus just fine and act like nothing was ever wrong. I'm convinced it's a software problem, and am waiting for the Android 2.2 update to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, I will start talking to Verizon about it. #secretlyhopingforaDroid2
  • Dave and Lisa are both beating me in the Payne Family Wii Mario Kart Grand Prix. Something weird has to happen for me to beat them out in the next three weeks. I am sure if I put enough time into it, I could have beat their scores each of the weeks. Last week I did. I got too late of a start this past week. #brimmingwithconfidanceallthewaytotheend
  • Google has built a tool called "App inventor for Android". It looks pretty interesting, but it's not an open registration, you have to wait for them to give you access, and it looks like they are trying to get it into the educational market first. I'm not sure I have an educational uses for it, but I wouldn't mind trying it out. I would have loved to have had a decent phone app for the schedule at the conference I was at last month. I'm not sure what other ideas I have for phone apps, I'm sure I could come up with a few if they release the tool to me. I could just do it the hard way, but I don't have time right now to figure out how to program for Android. #myfirstappwouldbecalled"pokeJohnintheeye"...
  • My aunt had a tornado touch down at her house the other day. Or next to her house, at least. It sounds like it jumped the house, no damage to the house itself, but their barn had the roof partly torn off, and it tore up their corn. She said they had corn embedded in the ground. Being the smart alex I am, my response on Facebook was: "I thought corn stalks grew out of the ground. Maybe that's just 'city kid thinking'..." I thought it was hilarious, and figured I would get a rise out of some one. Turns out either everyone ignored me, or were not pleased, and did not respond. I watched the news video of it last night, the corn stacks were picked up by the tornado and lanced back into the ground. I take back what I said. #Johntellsanothercornyjoke
  • I checked a book out of the University library 5 months ago, and promptly lost it. The library lets me check books out for 6 months at a time, which can be a blessing and a curse. I've looked all over the place for the book, not finding it anywhere. Last week I found the book, sitting in the bookshelf on the headboard to our bed. It was sandwiched in between a magazine and a spiral bound book. I felt silly. I took the book to work, and got one of my student employees to take the book back to the library for me. #notonlytoolazytoreadtoolazytowalktolibrary
That's all for now. #Iamoutofhere

No comments: