Saturday, July 31, 2010

Restaurant Reviews

Gloria's Little Italy
Provo

Last week (or the week before, I've lost track now) we decided to try out Gloria's Little Italy.   It was Thursday, the big sign out front extolled the virtues of their Thursday night pasta feast.

The 'pasta feast' was two different pasta dishes you could try out as much as you wanted.  One had a mushroom white sauce, the other was a red sauce with what I think was a creamy polenta layer under the sauce.  I really liked the red sauce with the polenta.  (The mushroom white sauce was good as well, but the polenta made me want to try to make it myself...)

When we got there, the girl at the front desk took us to an area of the restaurant that was empty, but incredibly hot.  There was no air moving there, and the place was in front of some West facing windows.  Stiffling.  We asked to be moved, they moved us to an areas with ceiling fans, which was at least 10 degrees cooler.  We could still see the other table, that desk girl tried to seat two other couples at that same, those couples also in turn asked to be moved before the girl gave up on that section of the restaurant...

Anyway, the pasta was pretty good.  We've got a gift certificate for lunch there somewhere in the house, but I think it's been lost to time.


Los Hermanos
Provo

Right across the street from Gloria's Little Italy, facing East, is Los Hermanos.  I haven't eaten there in something like ten years.  We went there tonight.  We were a little bit before dinner time, so we were able to get a seat right by their big windows in their very comfortable chairs.

Tara and I both ordered their Halibut Taco dinner.  Why did we order that you ask?  For the Halibut.

I'm not sure what I was really expecting out of the tacos, but what I got was not really it.  It was like they baked some fish, tossed it into a taco shell, added cheese and lettuce, and sent it out.  No seasonings, no extra flavors, no nothing.  I'm not sure that's really what they do every time with that dish, bu it didn't work for me.  It lacked flavor.  The fish was tender and juicy, but I kind of expect a fish taco to have something more.  The platter had gaucamole, sour cream, rice, and beans, I tried adding some of this to bites of the taco, but it was still kind just plain.  (and disappointing)

I guess eating there once in a decade is all you really need, anyhow. 

No comments: