Monday, September 15, 2008

"I void warranties"

OK, so there is no warranty on our old iPod, but it recently stopped working. It kept giving a little sick iPod symbol when you tried booting the thing up.

I took it to work today, we opened the thing up. It was surprisingly easy to do, when you knew what to do. We took the thing apart, and tried inserting the disk into a laptop. No go. The card is not exactly PCMCI, but close. (John P at work called this a Compaq flash type drive.) I ended up putting the disk in the freezer for a few minutes, and put the thing back together.

The iPod booted up. I can't yet tell if Tara is actually happy about my fixing it, I think she was warming up to the idea of getting a new unit. I'm not even sure if it was the time in the freezer that unbound the disk, or if there was some other problem with the thing that repaired itself when I disconnected everything internally. If i's the disk, it's just a matter of time before it fails again, anyway.

No comments: