Sunday, April 12, 2009

I'm just glad the house didn't burn down

Over the last few months, our dryer has been having a harder and harder time getting the job done. I normally count on needing more time after the first hour is done.

Yesterday, I had a load that needed 3 hours to dry. I thought this was odd, but chalked it up to being in large measure jeans and towels. The second load needed about 2.5 hours to dry. This started to be trouble. I had one more load, whites this time, and started the second hour before going to bed.

This morning, the clothes were not exactly dry. I checked the lint trap, and lint was collecting on the back side of the trap. Trouble. We were trying to get everyone ready for church, but I didn't want our whites sitting there rotting all day, so I pulled the dryer out, and unhooked the lint exhaust thing. It was clogged up. I ended up outside with my arm up past the elbow pulling junk out of the lint exhaust. Some of it was not new.

The dryer works much better now. The whites dried right away, no problem. Tara had to do a load of bedding, Lily leaked through her diaper. IT was a small load, and dried in about a half hour. I did a test load of clothes, they dried in an hour. I did a second test load, (there is never a shortage of dirty clothes here.) and everything but a pair of Adam's corduroys were dry after an hour. Looks like the dryer is back in fighting form. Should drop the utility bill a little.

Now if I can just figure out a way to get the washer to run without putting the weight on top of the lid...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ideally you should have a solid metal ductwork which will allow for more efficeint drying and less of a chance of fire from a clogged line, You should also clean out the line in the dryer itself. I reworked my exhaust and it is only 12" from the dryer to the outside wall. The dryer is always done before the wash now.

~ Amy said...

It's always good when you don't burn down the house.

Dr. Anonymous - your load in the dryer is done BEFORE your washer load is done?!? I'll pay you to come over.