Friday, April 03, 2009

I'm just glad she was a nice even tempered BYU shotputter. It could have been worse...

At work, they condensed the schedule for students to register for classes. The registration system had a little bit of struggle keeping up with the way they were doing it before, and this got sprung on me yesterday, as registration started.

The systems have some problems I need to diagnose and fix, I fully expect us to have performance problems from midnight to 1am for the next week. I find myself needing to pour over all kinds of trace messages trying to figure out what to do.

Being tired, and having a bit of a headache, I went for a fountain drink to help deal with the trace logs. It's cold outside. And windy. They are trying to have a track meet across the street today.

When we got to the gas station, it was a little crowded. There were a bunch of athletes from the track team getting hot chocolate. One of the people that went to the gas station with me said something about it not being great weather for a track meet, one of the girls agreed. I was filling my drink, and said "It could be worse, you could be a shotputter, they have to just stand there in the cold all day..."

One of the girls said "Hey!" I turned around, and wouldn't you know it, two of them were shotputters. Oops. I tried to back peddle a little, explained that I used to be a shotputter, and never liked the cold track meets because of the cold and the wind. I still don't think she was amused, so I started in on the runners. (Might as well tick them all off, if I am going to be attacked by some track team members, I might as well get attacked by a bunch of them. I would want to have to report that I got beat up by one girl.) I talked about how being a discus/shotput thrower was kind of nice, we could bring all the food we want to the meets, the runners always got jealous because we could eat anything we wanted and do whatever we wanted. Then I talked about how the cross country runners would run across the discus field. We would yell at them to not do that, they would ignore us, and eventually we just started throwing discuses at them instead, which worked a little better.

I think by the time I left, everyone was ignoring me, which is probably for the best...

No comments: