Friday, January 29, 2010

Dinner and a Show

Tonight Tara and I went out to a place called "Smash Burger", a new restaurant in town. Their thing seems to be smashing meat before they cook it.

I had a chicken sandwich, Tara had a chicken salad. Mine was a grilled chicken on a multigrain roll. It was pretty good, and the bread didn't really upset my stomach all that much. Nice fresh topping as well.

Tara's salad seemed pretty big, she seemed to like it. You order sides a la carte, I got the smash fries, which were french fries with olive oil, rosemary, garlic and what they call "other herbs". I thought they would have been perfect had they had just a little bit less oil on them. Tara got Haystack Onions, which were like little unbreaded onion rings. We both decided that we wouldn't try those again. They were just greasy fried onions, but not wet. Not sure how else to describe them.

They had on their menu something called veggie frites - "flash fried asparagud spears, carrot sticks, and green beans". Sounds pretty good.

After dinner, we went up to campus to see the play "Tartuffe". The cast seemed to have a pretty good time with it. I am sure I read the thing years ago, likely in High School, or something.

Anyhow, the one risk with sitting on the front row of the Pardoe series year after year, is that in the livelier plays, there is a tradition of selective enforced audience participation. A couple of plays ago, we went with another couple to the play. The husband (Kirk) was serenaded to on bended knee by one of the actors. Last time there were some actors in cool animal masks weaving their way through us.

Different story today. They had some sort of thing during the intermission where the actors kind of goofed off and danced around. Kirk, who went last week, told us to not miss the intermission. One of the maid laides came down and asked me to dance. Tara fully expected me to tell her no. I'm not sure what made me go up there, maybe it was the opportunity to make a total fool of myself on a stage.

Anyhow, she asked me if I knew how to waltz, which I guess was a no. She tried to tell me to use a three step dance, and we would just go around the piano on the stage. What I know she was thinking was "Why is it that the very irresistible and ruggedly handsome ones are the clumsy ones. I hope I'm not maimed here..."

Anyhow, go see "Tartuffe". It's a good play. Just don't sit on the front row.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how do you smash chicken?

rob