Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Census to America - "We think you are too dumb to follow directions"

I got a call from the census today. They wanted to verify the answers I gave on my form. I suppose the US government has decided that I'm not completely qualified to decide how many people were living in my house on April first. I know I have more kids than most people, but I didn't forget one of them. Or count any of them twice.

It was a long call. The dude on the phone read dutifully from his script, and insisted on asking every single question for every single person in the house. If I'm too dumb to fill the paper survey out properly, what guarentee do they have that I'm able to answer correctly on the phone?

Anyhow, after 10 minutes of verifying that yes indeed, on April 1, 2010, there were 8 people living in my house, they guys on the phone told me there was a place I could submit concerns about the follow up survey in writing. He asked if I wanted the address to share my opinions. My response? "No, I think I'll keep my opinions to myself for now."

Is this happening to anyone else out there? Are you getting calls from the census people? Or have I been profiled in some way for stupidity? (Watch me get audited by the IRS for this post...)

3 comments:

Mom said...

Yeah!!! I think this is called big family profiling and we need to stamp it out. Let's get some people together, make stupid signs, get a few celebrities involved, and hold a protest rally that eventually we can turn violent. Then we need to find a spokesman that can lie with a straight face, but has enough charisma to fool enough people that we can start bullying government into passing idiotic laws to "protect our civil rights". Oh, wait a minute. We have laws that were written a long time ago that kinda takes care of most situations that come up. I think it's called the Constitution, or something like that. Hmmmm.... I wonder if anyone in a government office has read it lately?

~ Amy said...

I lost my form so I never turned it in. On Monday, a Census lady showed up at my door 15 minutes after I put kids to bed. Ringing the doorbell. Kids came and said hi, then I shooed them to bed. When I answered no, that they were not hispanic, she gave me a sheet of paper that spelled out the terms "hispanic orgiin" and what qualifies you to be "white". I was thinking, "you don't think I know if my children are hispanic or not?" And "Didn't you SEE them? Could they be any whiter?" Seriously. She also asked me three times if I was sure no one else was living there on April 1st.....

JaredNGarrett said...

No phone calls yet.

On another note. John's Mom: right on.