Sunday, May 02, 2010

The 'send a boy to camp' fund

When I was a scout, we did fundraisers all the time. Popcorn buckets, orchids, candy bars, that sort of thing. Lots of fundraisers. My dad was the scoutmaster, and must have often sunk some money into these at the front end. (At least if I am remembering right.) I remember him going around church to other parents of scouts with an envelope he called the "Send A Boy To Camp" fund. Maybe it wasn't fundraisers that did this, maybe it was him paying the camp fees and looking to collect. Anyhow, at the time it didn't sink in what he was doing or what that meant, but now I think it's pretty funny.

Last month we had a member of our High Council pass away. I headed up the collection for flowers for the funeral, and bought them based on the pledges I had gotten. There's a tent at Costco I want to get, we have a Stake fathers and sons camp out in a few weeks I plan to take Adam to. I pulled the "Send a boy to camp" card on the pledgees tonight, we'll see how it goes. The tradition lives on...

No comments: