Friday, May 07, 2010

It's alive!

Last week, while mowing the lawn, I got 85% done with the lawn when the mower conked out. No warning, just all of the sudden stopped. The pull starter was jammed up as well.

Turns out there was no oil in the thing. Oops. My bad.

Yesterday I banged on the blade with a mallet, and it started turning a little bit. Good sign. Today I got some WD-40, took the spark plug off, and sprayed in the engine compartment. After 30 minutes I could turn the blade by hand, although kind of slowly. Rotated the blade around four or five times, and it started moving pretty good.

I put the spark plug back on, put some oil in, and voila! The thing fired up. "This is not a bad thing", I think to myself. The only drawback was that the engine was full of WD-40 at that point, and it needed to burn off. (Smoked a bit until it burned off, but that's ok.) I decided I had to mow the front lawn, since the thing was running.

Tomorrow - The back yard! Long story short: Thank goodness for over engineering...

No comments: