Thursday, July 16, 2009

Completely inspiring with confidence

Yesterday I went on a little plane trip. My flight was supposed to leave at 10:00am. At around 8:52am, I was shoving my backpack onto the xray conveyor belt at security when it started ringing. After getting through security, I find Southwest had called, they were calling to let me know the flight was delayed 45 minutes.

I went down to the gate to make sure I would make my connection. I was told I would, so I eventually started wandering around looking for something to eat, since I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time to do anything but get to my next gate in Baltimore. I got all the way down to the next terminal, almost went in to a place to get something, and decided to head back. A minute later (9:55am) I got a call from Southwest letting me know my flight was set for an on-time departure. Going between terminals, I could see a plane docking way down at the gate I was supposed to be in. I hurried back, they had an announcement on the intercom saying all passengers for the flight should come back.

When I got back there, the guy at the gate started explaining that the pilot reported a problem with the plane, the mechanics were looking at it, and they would update us when they knew more. 45 minutes later, they finally started boarding.

As we were boarding, the mechanics still were up to their elbows in the right engine. I tried taking a picture, but didn't get a very good one. One guy was doing something, and sending the other guy back to the truck for tools over and over. When we got on the plane, the crew was very careful to not say a single word about the functional condition of the plane.

We finally took off, and there was no trouble with the flight. I guess the mechanics got it right. As we were landing, one of the flight attendants got on, told the people with connections to Concord to get off the plane, and go right across the hall to get on their plane. She told the people with connections to Buffalo to go to Gate A2 (We were in B something) and hurry.

As I was hurrying off, I heard them announcing the boarding of my flight. I had to run to the gate to get on the plane, but I made it. No lunch. But also no mechanics.

It could have been worse. Last time they didn't bother to hold the connection for me, I missed the flight, it took about 45 minutes to get set up on another flight...

No comments: