Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Overly engineered bunk bed

The plumber got me some hot water in the house tonight. The basement is starting to look quite a bit different than it did just a week ago... We have a water junction box now. (Not sure what else to call it. I am sure it has a name.)

We also now have a water softener. My hair feels so much softer already. And shorter.

The tankless water heater is also alive. I could have spent hours in the hot water tonight, and it would have just kept on going. And going, and going. No more cold showers. For anyone in the house.


I spent the better part of the afternoon making the second in a series of over engineered bunks beds here at the house. It needs a good sanding, but it is essentially built. No paint, that would ruin the charm, especially since the girls just draw all over the other bunk bed anyway.

The thing is completely solid. No movement. I added an extra feature, cross braces for the top bunk, to prevent a collapse do to jumping on the bed. Hopefully Emma and Lily like it.

Tomorrow? (more correctly: "Later Today?") I am headed off to work. I wanted to get some things done, but I imagine at this point that that stuff will get shoved out of the way to work on the problem we looked at tonight... At 2pm, there may be a bunch of people at the house to lend a hand. We have furniture to move around, walls to sand and mud, that sort of thing.

2 comments:

Tara said...

What kind of wood did you use to make it? It looks all different colors. It looks really nice. The girls are going to love it.

jjp said...

Ruth's bunk bed, which is previously stained, studs, and some slightly weathered 1x6...