Friday, April 27, 2007

Placing the swing

The instructions for the play set we are getting Monday talk about having a 30 foot by 36 foot area for optimal placement of the swing. (They really want 6 feet on all sides, but ask for a little more on a couple of sides of the thing in their diagrams.) Our yard is 24 feet wide, it used to be a little bigger, but the wall I am putting in takes about 18 inches out of the yard.
Anyway, I have been trying to figure out what direction to face the swings and slide in the yard. One direction involves pointing at the garden, but that would mean we couldn't see them using the slide and rock wall at all. Facing it the other way means leaving the slide in the sun most of the day, which is not a happy thing in the summer here. I also needed to cheat about 3 feet off the 6 foot on each side rule. The slide is what really sticks out the furthest, cheating 3 feet might not have been that big a deal for anything but the slide.

Tonight I finally figured out how to make it work. The real dimensions of the set itself are 17 feet by 14.5 feet. If I turn the thing on a diagonal, I end up taking up 11 feet of the 23 available.
I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before. Putting the thing on an angle slightly less than 45 degrees actually gives the ideal spacing for our yard, I think. We can put to point closest to the house near the window, the slide faces away from the sun, and we will be able to pretty much see the girls playing on the thing from the back window. As an added bonus, I think a good portion of the thing will not be visible from the street. If I put the baby swing on the end, I thing everything will work out perfect.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing from the store to the house. And the girls need to clean their room. And I need to figure out a time to put it together. And I need to figure out a grass watering plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just built one of those swing sets for my kids. Talk about a project spiraling out of control.