Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Real vs. Virtual

I have been trying to get mlb.com Gameday audio to work under VMWare Workstation. (On my laptop) It hasn't been working so well. I don't really know what the problem is. The thing uses Windows Media Player under the hood. (That's why I was using VMWare. For some reason, Microsoft has still not ported their Media Player to Linux...) Under VMWare, the connection buffers to whatever setting VMWare has, then plays the section, then stops to buffer some more, then plays again. It's kind of annoying.

Under just about any real PC, the thing works great. No issues. All buffering is done in the background. No breaks in the audio stream.

I got tired of it yesterday and went down the hall and found a junker of a machine. Yesterday afternoon I reinstalled the thing, today things work great. (I brought the speakers from home to work. I have to remember to hook up or other speakers to the home PC.)

I listened to more than 4 hours of baseball this afternoon, no interruptions in service. (The Cubs lost in 14 innings...)

No comments: