Monday, April 23, 2007

Textbook Buyback

I had to go over to the bookstore again today - this time to work on a server. It's finals week here, that means textbook buyback for students. They have signs up all over showing 4 classes where they need a number of books and the price they are offering. "Human Anatomy - 250 needed - $75!"

Back in the day, I rarely got much out of my textbooks. I don't know if the Math professors back then were just bored with the books, or were writing their own for the next semester, or what was going on, but I never appreciated the $5 offer they would give for the textbook I paid $80 for at the beginning of the semester. (and hardly used at all...)

After a while I started scheduling my classes around when the schedule for finals was. I tried to lump all the finals into the first couple of days. This had 2 reasons - I wanted to be done as soon as possible, and I wanted to be done with the finals early so I could beat other people to the textbook buyback. My results were mixed. One semester I walked away with $250.

After I started working full time, I got back at the whole "textbook cartel" business. Being a full time employee, I am able to check books out of the library for 6 months at a time. I think I only bought 1 textbook in all the time I was going to school trying to finish up while working full time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to the hardly used part of your post John Payne.

rob