Monday, November 24, 2008

I thought I did more damage than good on Friday at work...

On Friday I installed an upgraded version of one of my tools on a new server. (This tool lets me perform the same task on multiple machines at the same time. I have all our machines discovered on the old machine.) The newer version has got some new import/export functionality in it that would make it lots faster to migrate to the new one, so I upgraded the tool on the old server. After the upgrade the tool didn't start the way it was supposed to. It looked like it was brain dead. I figured that I just made things worse for me, because now I wouldn't have the old machine to refer to when creating the new stuff on the newer tool. Lots of work was lost.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I went to reinstall a different machine. I got paged that the machine was down. It was the old tool paging me. I went on to the old machine, and the tool was up and running. It looks like it is fully up and functional with the upgraded tool. I actually saved us a lot of time because we have the import/export features now. I actually did get something useful accomplished on Friday.

The fine print in the documentation said that the upgrade would trash the DB if using an Oracle DB. Turns out that this must have been something they forgot to update in the documentation. It looks to me like the tool didn't start right away on Friday because it was busy converting the Oracle DB to whatever it needs now. That's good for me.

No comments: